Monday, October 17, 2011

Loaded with Benefits

On the very day that my oldest son turned 35, I started my 42nd year of teaching. The students moved into my room like an afternoon thunderstorm period after period typical to the Dominican culture. I talked with one of the new teachers who has come here after teaching in Honduras for eight years. I asked him how he would compare that culture to this culture. After a brief moment of reflection he replied, “The people in Honduras have a talking culture. I would have to say that this is a shouting culture.” Boy, did he hit that nail on the head! It has been about two months since school has started and they are just now learning to be quiet when the bell rings, listen when I talk, and clean up before they leave. Actually, it seems easier each year I am here. My reputation must go before me … for which I am thankful.

If I were asked to rank school year beginnings, I would have to rank the start of this year as the worst in my career. Due to some administrative oversight about 30 freshmen were allowed to enroll above what our school is set up to handle. This was not discovered until the first day when the schedules were handed out. It’s hard to describe the chaos that ensued for that first week while teachers and administration tried to figure out what was happening.

I had to move to a different room this year since I am not teaching biology anymore. My new room was in disarray until the last moment. When school started I found out quickly that most class lists were inaccurate and I had many more students than what my class lists said. My math colleague next door was in a similar situation and we traded 8 to 10 chairs back and forth during certain periods to temporarily handle the overload. The class lists changed daily as students with temporary schedules were shifted around, so I kept all records on loose-leaf sheets written in pencil.

The math department was not the only classes affected, obviously. The science teacher who has been here for 20 years was sitting on the early bus home at 4:00. Since this was unusual for him I asked him how it was going. This experienced teacher who normally seems in control of every situation replied with visible stress on his face, “I have to leave early … I just have to.” With a tacit nod I understood exactly what he meant.

On the weekend before our second week of school Hurricane Irene traced a large slow path that brought it directly over our little island of Hispaniola. It had been classified as an official hurricane by the time it hit us so the country was unsure about what its effect would be. We were instructed to stay home as the brooding monster hovered over the island deciding what to do. I’m not sure of the theological implications of being thankful for a hurricane, but this gift of two days of time gave our school a tremendous benefit. The worst weather we saw, thankfully, was some gusts of wind and some rain, but the new secondary vice-principal used the four-day weekend to get advice from teachers and to create a new schedule which would largely alleviate the overload emergency. It required a new class schedule to be printed for every high school student and the hiring of several new part time teachers, but after eight weeks on the new schedule it appears that the year will be a good one and it has settled into a somewhat normal routine.

Outside of school we experienced a rough start of another kind. On the day that school ended last June we moved into another apartment. So when we came back after our summer “vacation” to Idaho we were faced with the daunting task of settling in. Our daughter-in-law gave some order to the chaos in the few days we had before we left but we were now faced with finishing the move including putting up curtains and shelves and the unending list of projects that accumulate with any move.


The temperature and humidity have been in the 90’s for the three months, and our new apartment, unknown to us at the time we moved, is located in such a position that it does not cool off at night. We have three ceiling fans (with two more ordered) along with several floor fans. We have contemplated getting an air conditioner but since it is a major purchase and it costs a lot for electricity here we have decided to wait for a year to see: 1) are we staying, and 2) are we overreacting. In the meantime, it is quite difficult to concentrate on any kind of disciplined life style like exercising or cooking or studying. When I get home we usually go for a walk where we end up at a local Wal-Mart-style store that has air-conditioning and a place to sit down and talk. The temperature usually becomes almost perfect in another few weeks, so we are living in hope.

This is the first year that my wife and I have decided to stay here in the Dominican Republic because of the ministry itself. For the first three years we had family reasons to be here. So this will be a trial year to see if we feel that this will be the best place to serve the Lord in the last years of our lives. We have never felt like "real" missionaries, but it is the best opportunity we presently have to use our combined skills to share the gospel.

On a professional level I have a heart to help the math department iron out some of the problems which have caused many students to score low. I know that these are English-Language-Learner (ELL) students but I believe they can do much better.

On a spiritual level I want them to see the gospel lived out and discussed on a daily and practical level. We pray about a verse of Scripture every day in each period; we integrate what the Bible teaches with what lesson we learn; I have them memorize six verses during the year on the plan of salvation and have them take a test which explains how a person can become a Christian from what the Bible says. Most of my students come from wealthy, Catholic homes and have been in this Christian school most of their lives. So this is a tough crowd, so to speak. But God calls us to preach, not to convert.

On a family level we are praying about how to keep our family together even though they are scattered half way around the world and it doesn’t look like it will change in our life time. So it behooves us to consider what role we are going to have in our grandchildren’s lives and how we can accomplish that. This school gives a small salary which we have found adequate to live on while we are here if we are careful. So we are considering that this could be a way to save enough money to visit one of our children each year. If they can’t come to us we will go to them! Right?

So we are praying about whether or not to stay beyond this year. I have to let the school know of my intentions by this Christmas so they can begin the recruitment process.

In the meantime the Lord is blessing our family. After many years of ignoring God’s conviction in his life, our oldest son recently gave his life to the Lord. He finally came to the place of surrender to the Lord and told Him that he wanted God’s will for his life. Shortly after that, he was introduced to a girl who had a similar testimony. Within a short time they were engaged and we are planning to attend their wedding in Texas in January.


My second son, the one in Japan, is the proud father of a new little girl. She was born on my wife’s mother’s birthday so her middle name is now the same as her great grandmother which brought tears to my wife's eyes.

And it wasn’t a week later that our youngest, our daughter who lives in Peru, informed us that she was with child again only seven months after her first one was born.

And life will go on. There will probably be more births and more hot weather and uncomfortable apartments and poor starts to school years. But one thing that I know for sure … behind everything is a God who daily loadeth us with benefits.

Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits,
Even the God of our salvation. Selah. Psalm 68:19

No comments: